So many of you asked for the recipe for the spicy Moroccan chickpea soup that I posted about last week, I couldn't believe it! I really can't recommend this soup enough. It's perfect for fall- spicy, hearty and super filling. I got the recipe from Men In Aprons, but changed quite a few things. My version was delicious, so that's the one I'll be sharing with you.
Spicy Moroccan Chickpea Soup Recipe
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 can navy beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tsp sugar
1 quart vegetable broth
salt and pepper
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion wilts, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the spices and cook for one minute.
4. Add the tomatoes, beans, chickpeas, sugar, broth, a pinch of salt and 10 grinds black pepper. Stir well.
5. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 45 minutes.
6. Using a potato masher, crush about half of the beans and chickpeas, then stir the soup well before serving.
I topped mine with some grated parmesan. If you've read just about any of my other recipes, this probably doesn't surprise you! Some ciabatta bread and a glass of red wine were perfect with this soup.